Interested in a creative future in North Adams, Massachusetts? If you’ve been looking for a place with abundant natural beauty, affordable real estate, small-town charm and convenience, and a lively cultural community…. You’ve just found it. And Assets for Artists is now inviting applications for assistance to artists who intend to relocate here in 2017!
There’s never been a better time to make the move. Nestled in the heart of the beautiful Berkshires, North Adams is a happening little city full of creative energy. With world class institutions like MASS MoCA, the Clark Art Institute, and the Williams College Museum of Art all nearby, there is never a shortage of cultural happenings. And grassroots community art centers like Makers’ Mill and the Common Folk Artist Collective offer plenty of opportunities to get involved and make your mark.
Selected artists who relocate to North Adams in 2017 will receive:
- A “matched savings” grant providing up to $4,000 of seed capital to be invested in the artist’s North Adams-based creative practice.
- Free professional development services, including artist-tailored business and financial trainings and one-on-one coaching.
- $500 to assist with the cost of relocation to North Adams.
- A $250 mini grant to help jumpstart retirement savings or an emergency fund.
- Eligibility to apply for technical assistance grants (up to $5,000) for overhauling a website or other design or professional services (subject to the availability of such funds from the Massachusetts Growth Capital Corporation).
- Free 1-year membership to MASS MoCA.
Artists at all income levels, in all disciplines, and in all stages of their career may apply. We are seeking artists who can make the greatest contribution to the North Adams community, and who will receive the most benefit from the assistance we can provide. To be eligible, artists must demonstrate readiness to move to (and make a minimum 1-year commitment to) North Adams by the end of 2017.
Interested? Click here to view our application. The deadline is April 25, 2017.
Want to learn more? Click here to read up on the reasons we love North Adams.
Ready to start studio searching? Click here to see some recommended and available spaces in North Adams.
A little history: In 2014 we piloted our first round of the North Adams Project. Our aim was to support North Adams-based artists (established and newly relocated) in growing their financial security and entrepreneurial impact — while simultaneously boosting the cultural economy of the City. As part of that initial round, we had six artists relocate their practice to North Adams and three current residents join our program. In 2015 and 2016, we enrolled 18 additional North Adams artists. Click here to meet them!